top of page

Confirmation of your appointment

Thank you for booking your appointment for a

dissolution of civil union without dependent child in person.

Hereunder you will find the various information

concerning the processing of your file

Conditions for obtaining a judgment of dissolution of civil union in Quebec

To do your proceedings in Quebec, at least one of the parties must have resided in Quebec during the last twelve months.  The place of civil union is not important.

​To request a dissolution of a civil union, your will to live together must be irretrievably damaged.

Documents required to obtain a judgment

To proceed with your file, you will need a photocopy of the birth certificates of both parties and your certificat of civil union certificate.

N.B. When you have done your civil union in Quebec, your civil union certificate must come from the Direction de l'état civil. It's blue and looks like a birth certificate. This is not your civil union statement. If you don't have it or have never had it, you must order it. Everyone must provide these documents without exception. If you have done your civil union outside Quebec, you must provide the original civil union certificate, rather than a copy.


If you have chosen a different matrimonial regime within the framework of a notarized civil union contract or if you have obtained a legal separation judgment, you must provide the original of the document(s) in question.

All documents must be written in French or English. Otherwise, they must be accompanied by the original of an official translation prepared by a translator of the Order of Translators of Quebec.

If you are missing documents at the time of the meeting, there will be an additional management fee of $50 per missing document which will be added to the fees. If you would like me to order a document for you from the Directeur de l'état civil du Québec, the cost will be $150 (taxes and fees included).  Note that you can order your documents yourself, for a costing $34 to $66.

Time required to obtain a judgment

Depending on your judicial district, the judgment is generally rendered within six to nine months following the filing of all court proceedings. However, the Court is not bound by this deadline and it is always possible that the judgment will be rendered more than nine months after the filing of the proceedings, although this is very unusual.  Similarly, some districts render their judgment within a few weeks.

Progress of the file to obtain a judgment in person

Both parties will need to attend together a single in-person meeting of one to two hours where documents will be prepared, signed and sworn. Thereafter, you will have nothing more to do. The proceedings will be sent to the Court, the judgment will be rendered without a hearing and we will forward your judgment to you upon receipt.

The detailed fees to obtain a judgment in person

For all other all-inclusive packages in person, it will cost you a total amount of $ 600, taxes included. Court stamp fees are included with this option. To benefit from this rate, you must never have used subsidized mediation together. Otherwise, it will cost you an additional amount of $ 300, taxes included.

For more specific information, you can call us at 514-639-5611 or write to

bottom of page