top of page

Confirmation of your appointment

Thank you for booking your appointment

for a divorce with dependent child in person.

Hereunder you will find the various information

concerning the processing of your file

Conditions for obtaining a judgment of divorce in Quebec

To do your proceedings in Quebec, at least one of the parties must have resided in Quebec during the last twelve months.  The place of marriage is not important.

​There are three grounds for seeking a divorce in Canada. Adultery, physical or mental cruelty and living apart from each other for more than a year. But it is only the separation of more than one year that makes it possible to present a joint application for divorce. You can live apart from each other and cohabit under the same roof for economic or other reasons and generally for a temporary period, but you must live at different addresses when the proceedings are initiated. Call us at 514 639-5611 if you have any questions about this.

Documents required to obtain a judgment

To proceed with your file, you will need a photocopy of the birth certificates of both parties, those of your children in common and your marriage certificate.

N.B. When you are married in Quebec, your marriage certificate must come from the Direction de l'état civil. It's blue and looks like a birth certificate. This is not your marriage statement. If you don't have it or have never had it, you must order it. Everyone must provide these documents without exception. If you got married outside Quebec, you must provide the original marriage certificate, rather than a copy.


If you have chosen a different matrimonial regime within the framework of a notarized marriage contract or if you make a notarized contract excluding the application of the family patrimony before 1991 or if you have obtained a legal separation judgment, you must provide the original of the document(s) in question.

All documents must be written in French or English. Otherwise, they must be accompanied by the original of an official translation prepared by a translator of the Order of Translators of Quebec.

According to the requirements of the court for a file with a dependent child, each of the two parties must, obligatorily for all, have in their possession their last Quebec notice of assessment, the four pages of their last Quebec tax return and their last three pay stubsThese are three different series of documents.

If you are missing documents at the time of the meeting, there will be an additional management fee of $50 per missing document which will be added to the fees. If you would like me to order a document for you from the Directeur de l'état civil du Québec, the cost will be $150 (taxes and fees included).  Note that you can order your documents yourself, for a costing fo $34 to $66.

Time required to obtain a judgment

Depending on your judicial district, the judgment is generally rendered within six to nine months following the filing of all court proceedings. However, the Court is not bound by this deadline and it is always possible that the judgment will be rendered more than nine months after the filing of the proceedings, although this is very unusual.  Similarly, some districts render their judgment within a few weeks.

Progress of the file to obtain a judgment in person

Both parties will need to attend together a single in-person meeting of one to two hours where documents will be prepared, signed and sworn. Thereafter, you will have nothing more to do. The proceedings will be sent to the Court, the judgment will be rendered without a hearing and we will forward your judgment to you upon receipt. Similarly, for the divorce certificate.

The detailed fees to obtain a judgment in person

For all other all-inclusive packages in person, it will cost you a total amount of $ 800, taxes included. Court stamp fees are included with this option. To benefit from this rate, you must never have used subsidized mediation together. Otherwise, it will cost you an additional amount of $ 375, taxes included.


For more specific information, you can call us at 514-639-5611 or write to

bottom of page